Sunday, June 03, 2012

Mt. Kenya

It's a beautiful Sunday morning here in Kenya and I am sitting in the compound having a cup of tea and listening to the nuns singing at morning mass across the road. The early mornings are quite cool and I am glad that I brought some warm clothes with me. 
We had a great day yesterday... hired a guide and climbed through the hills at the base of Mt. Kenya. We hiked for about five hours and climbed to about 4000 m - I was surprised at the altitude and how much it knocked the wind out of me. We took three of the employees from the local business centre with us and they were so excited to be seeing the mountain that they have only ever looked at from a distance. There were wild zebras running around and the sun shone for just enough time to snap some good pics. We don't have any major plans for today, some R&R I suppose.
It's hard to believe that we have been here for only two weeks - it feels like an eternity! Edward is leaving on Wednesday already and then we have 10 weeks left. I know that time will fly but it will be hard to not have him here.
I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend and that summer has arrived in Canada. Have a great day!

Hiking through Mt. Kenya National Park

Clearly Ed needs to work on his jumping picture skills

The park gate

Mt. Kenya in the distance

"The Boys" - Edward, Festus, Gikundi, & Mwenda (employees of the business centre)

The valley at the base of Mt. Kenya

1 comment:

  1. Ed, weak jump, but solid one arm!
    Love you both.
    Maeve

    ReplyDelete