Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Quite the Day


Yesterday was quite the day. We conducted our first three of 38 food security interviews and they are ones that will not soon leave my memory. Two of the three women get by with the vegetables grown in their ‘shamba’ or kitchen garden but have consistently gone without meals in the last month. One woman’s maize reserve ran out two weeks ago and since then hasn’t had anything to eat. The crops aren’t doing well and they desperately need rain. If things go well they may get some maize come July. I am completely blown away by the complete lack of food security that is a common everyday occurrence in these women’s lives. What amazes me even more is the kindness and generosity that they display towards us regardless of their situation – a cup of tea, or some cut up paw paw  (papaya) is often offered when we come. This trip will be one of perspective and I will never again use the phrase “I’m starving”.
We were also pulled over on our way home by the police (they regularly pull cars over only to be paid off by the drivers) and as I was sitting in the trunk of the station wagon (there weren’t enough seats for all of the nutrition people plus the translator and as the car has no seatbelts anyway I figured the trunk had more room, why not?) they figured they could get some more money out of our driver. They also found it quite hilarious that a ‘mizungo’ or white person was sitting in the trunk and proceeded to take my picture. 300 Kenyan shillings later (about $4) we were on our way with me out of the trunk and squished into the back seat.
I also had two firsts yesterday… I milked a cow and participated in the butchering of one of the cow’s raised by the sisters for the food in the hospital. Let’s just say that food safety standards here are different than they are in Canada!
Thanks to everyone who is commenting on the blog – it makes me feel a little closer to home and I really appreciate it. I am still struggling with the length of time it takes to download pictures so will try and figure something out as soon as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Janet

    We have enjoyed reading your blog and your photos are fabulous. You have mentioned kale in your blog a few times. We ate alot of kale when we were growing up. I remember it was a substitute for cabbage. Keep safe.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete